News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Pictish Shield Markings

Started by Imperial Dave, August 13, 2020, 12:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Hi all,

following on from Stephen's topic a few months ago on building a Pictish army http://soa.org.uk/sm/index.php?topic=4421.0 and the fact that my Pictish forces are starting to take shape in 10mm....was wondering if there are any specific Pictish shield markings/painted designs that we either have some evidence for or at least researched conjecture. Obviously I can do the generic zoomorphic designs from artwork/monuments etc but just wanted to throw it out there for comment
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

The only stone I can think of with patterned shields is Birsay, where the are patterns of dots.  But may be others.

Anton

I went for dots in 15mm.  There are some Pict shield transfers about but not in your scale though they might supply you with some inspiration. Good luck with it.

Imperial Dave

yeah looked a the 15mm transfers around and some are possibly trimmable for 10mm plus obviously inspiration to 'copy'
dots are good and brown obviously can be used quite a lot :)
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Holly on August 13, 2020, 01:34:58 PM
yeah looked a the 15mm transfers around and some are possibly trimmable for 10mm plus obviously inspiration to 'copy'

Lime-washed is also an option when brown gets boring :)

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Erpingham on August 13, 2020, 01:36:51 PM
Quote from: Holly on August 13, 2020, 01:34:58 PM

Lime-washed is also an option when brown gets boring :)

currently that is my default already so looking for variety by introducing other colours and some designs!  :)
Slingshot Editor

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Anton

Imperial Dave

I thought so. Plenty of stuff on there to keep me amused and giving inspiration

just dont ask about the blue tattoos....
Slingshot Editor