News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Ancient Indian "pronged" Bucklers?

Started by Howard Fielding, October 29, 2020, 01:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard Fielding

Shown in the WRG book on Macedonian and Punic wars, there is an Indian buckler with "prongs".  Duncan speculated that it was possibly used for weapon catching/breaking, IIRC.

I'm wondering if more information has come to light since publication.

Does anyone know of a name for this type of shield?

Are there online sources or pictures? Is there an example in a museum somewhere?

I just did a Google search but I guess my Google-Fu is weak at the moment. I can find pictures of the bell shaped Maurya shields, and Moghul shields, but not this more exotic form.

Duncan Head

I think it might have been the one carried by the central figure on this relief from Amaravati - from here - though that is a bit smaller than I remember.
Duncan Head

Howard Fielding

Thanks for the reply! It took me a while but I finally found a higher resolution image as part of a PDF.

A cropped version of the image attached.

Howard Fielding

I also had an interesting time browsing through stupa carved panels from various sites. And stumbled on a display walk-through from The Museum in Mumbai, about Indian small coastal craft and their construction.  8)