News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Italians and chainmail

Started by shaun holdsworth, November 21, 2020, 11:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaun holdsworth

Apart from Gauls and Romans is there any use of chainmail by any of the other Italian peoples, and if not what did the Romans know that the Etruscans and Samnites etc. didnt

Duncan Head

There are some fairly late representations of Etruscans in mail, or in composite armours including mail. But mostly I think it's chronology; most of our representations of Samnites etc are 5th or 4th century BC, and it's hard to find firm evidence of either Romans or Celts using mail before the 3rd century. 
Duncan Head

shaun holdsworth

Have checked back AMPW and now I look have found Etruscan in part mail, to much time on my hands, is it possible/reasonable that all Italians had some access to it before the Roman steamroller

Duncan Head

Well, I can't think of any evidence for it other than Romans and Etruscans. And anyone south of Etruria would have had limited contact with the Celts, and the Greek bronze-plate style probably still has more prestige. So possible, yes; likely, on any scale, no.
Duncan Head