News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Significant Anglo-Saxon Cemetery And Settlement Found In Overstone, Northampton

Started by Imperial Dave, January 26, 2021, 07:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Webster

Quote from: Justin Swanton on January 27, 2021, 11:19:41 AM
Quote from: Jim Webster on January 27, 2021, 08:02:46 AM
Quote from: Holly on January 26, 2021, 07:48:06 PM
https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2021/01/significant-anglo-saxon-cemetery-and.html#.YBA7YD0QJc4

its a big dig...

I confess I always smile wryly when Americans worry about building on ancient burial grounds    ???

Mmmh...that's a big dig at the Americans (and they don't want one  ::) )

Just musing aloud.
Given that they technically share much the same culture and in theory at least the same religion, I find the divergence interesting.
Yet in the Ancient world we're surprised that Greeks living a couple of thousand miles from Greece evolve differently, in an era when the journey could take weeks evolve differently yet in a world with instant communication we see how far Americans and English differ in what are culturally very basic things. In three thousand years somebody will doubtless try and prove that actually Americans weren't settled from the UK because their attitudes to burial rites differ so much  8)

Mick Hession

Quote from: Jim Webster on January 27, 2021, 03:04:20 PM
In three thousand years somebody will doubtless try and prove that actually Americans weren't settled from the UK because their attitudes to burial rites differ so much  8)

To be fair, many Americans weren't settled from the UK (even counting C19th Irish as being of UK origin).

cheers
Mick

Jim Webster

Quote from: Mick Hession on January 27, 2021, 05:00:03 PM
Quote from: Jim Webster on January 27, 2021, 03:04:20 PM
In three thousand years somebody will doubtless try and prove that actually Americans weren't settled from the UK because their attitudes to burial rites differ so much  8)

To be fair, many Americans weren't settled from the UK (even counting C19th Irish as being of UK origin).

cheers
Mick

Those of European origin, whether direct or indirectly also come from a culture which doesn't have a problem with building on burial grounds. It's just fascinating to watch cultures diverge