News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Ralph Fiennes' new film mirrors the discovery of a huge Roman Villa in Broughton

Started by Imperial Dave, January 29, 2021, 03:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck the Grey

You beat me to it Dave. I got a notice about the film through Netflix. Archeology, important finds, and interesting characters without Nazis or mummies. What could be better.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

yesthatphil

Saw the film last night ... enjoyed it a lot ...

I know Keith (mentioned in the article) through our mutual interest in the archaeology of the 1469 battlefield at Edgcote (which is just a few miles from Banbury).  At the Battlefields Trust we are supporting his campaign to introduce a national code of practice for metal detectorists.  But I didn't know all of his back story, so the article, which otherwise I would have missed, was very interesting.  Thanks for sharing.

Phil

Chuck the Grey

Quote from: Holly on January 30, 2021, 09:04:38 AM
makes a change eh Chuck?  ;D

Yes it does. I was trying to think of any other films about an important, or even a minor, archeological dig similar to The Dig, but I came up empty. Anyone else have a suggestion?

Nick Harbud

Well, there have been various dramatisations of digging up King Tut's tomb, and a series on the 19th century removal of various Egyptian antiquities by sundry English and French archaeologists....

Nick Harbud

Erpingham

The trouble with an archaeology film is that it can only really be a backdrop to something else.  Archaeology is not known for its break neck pace or sense of jeopardy.  But rivalry, ambition, romance can all take place in the foreground to create a "human interest" drama.

RichT

Quote from: Erpingham on February 01, 2021, 10:54:20 AM
Archaeology is not known for its break neck pace or sense of jeopardy.

Ever heard of Indiana Jones? That sort of fantasy archaeology is moderately common in film (Indiana Jones, Stargate, The Mummy and I expect others). As a popular image of a field, it may not be very accurate (!), but it is at least very appealing (unlike, say, ancient history).

There were a couple of TV movies recently about Agatha Christie that had archaeology (real archaeology) as a background. (One at any rate - I think there was another)

Justin Swanton

Quote from: RichT on February 01, 2021, 11:05:13 AM
There were a couple of TV movies recently about Agatha Christie that had archaeology (real archaeology) as a background. (One at any rate - I think there was another)

Murder in Mesopotamia. One of my favorites.

Erpingham

I was trying to stick with "real" archaeology.  However, I would suggest archaeology is really only a backdrop to films like Indiana Jones and The Mummy, rather than the main theme :)

Agatha Christie was, of course, the wife of an archaeologist and spent a fair bit of time on archaeological sites.  Her book Murder in Mesopotamia is set on an archaeological expedition.

RichT

QuoteHowever, I would suggest archaeology is really only a backdrop to films like Indiana Jones and The Mummy, rather than the main theme

I dunno, I think archaeology (albeit fantasy archaeology) is central to the Indiana Jones films (for eg), not just a backdrop - the whole thing (Raiders and Last Crusade especially) is all about what people like to imagine archaeology consists of (researching and finding 'clues' in old documents, travelling to remote, exotic locations, and discovering treasure). A lot of TV documentary archaeology is inspired by the same sort of ethos (clues, travel, treasure), without the Nazis and face melting angels of course. I imagine that when a lot of people think about archaeology they think about something like this, even if they know it's not really quite like that.

Real archaeology of course you are right, not exciting in quite the same ways, and more likely to be a backdrop than a central theme.

Erpingham

QuoteI imagine that when a lot of people think about archaeology they think about something like this, even if they know it's not really quite like that.

I think a lot of archaeologists dream of archaeology being like that :) 

aligern

RealbArchaeology is a detective story and could be filmed as such.  Of course it does not have the pace of detective stories, but then real life crime detection is iften very slow and methodical
Roy

Erpingham

Real archaeology is largely moving large quantities of muck around and creating finds trays full of small bits dirt-covered broken pots (if you're lucky).  Most of the time, conditions range from sub-optimal to dreadful - it is invariably too wet, too dry, too hot or too cold.  The key piece of evidence is inevitably under the baulk.  This does not make for gripping cinema. 

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Erpingham on February 01, 2021, 12:21:49 PM
Real archaeology is largely moving large quantities of muck around and creating finds trays full of small bits dirt-covered broken pots (if you're lucky).  Most of the time, conditions range from sub-optimal to dreadful - it is invariably too wet, too dry, too hot or too cold.  The key piece of evidence is inevitably under the baulk.  This does not make for gripping cinema.

Real life in any form does not make for gripping cinema which is why cinema is fantasy by definition.