News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Egypt announces new archaeological discovery in Alexandria

Started by Imperial Dave, February 01, 2021, 08:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on February 01, 2021, 08:28:50 PM
https://dailynewsegypt.com/2021/01/30/new-archaeological-discovery-in-alexandria/

really could be out of a film...

I just want them to discover a mummy which has been stuffed with the complete works of Gnaeus Pompeius Trogus  8)

Erpingham

Nick Harbud

Presumably a gold tongue is even better than a silver one for pulling the wool over people's eyes? 

???
Nick Harbud

Erpingham

Quote from: NickHarbud on February 02, 2021, 02:06:04 PM
Presumably a gold tongue is even better than a silver one for pulling the wool over people's eyes? 

???

More an insurance policy.  You needed a tongue to answer for yourself if you were going to get into the afterlife.  Fleshly tongues decay, gold ones don't, so you wouldn't get caught out.

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Erpingham on February 02, 2021, 02:20:03 PM

???

More an insurance policy.  You needed a tongue to answer for yourself if you were going to get into the afterlife.  Fleshly tongues decay, gold ones don't, so you wouldn't get caught out.

What did they have to answer for exactly?

Erpingham

Quote from: Justin Swanton on February 02, 2021, 03:14:36 PM

???

What did they have to answer for exactly?

You have to recite the Negative Confession in the Hall of the Maati.

https://www.ancient.eu/The_Negative_Confession/

"The Negative Confession (also known as The Declaration of Innocence) is a list of 42 sins which the soul of the deceased can honestly say it has never committed when it stands in judgment in the afterlife. "

The exact versions of the Negative Confession vary a bit through time.

You also have to make an address to the gods of the Tuat, including this declaration

"Grant ye that I may come before you, for I have not committed sin, I have done no act of deceit, I have done no evil thing, and I have not borne [false] witness; therefore let nothing [evil] be done to me. I have lived upon truth, I have fed upon truth, I have performed the ordinances of men, and the things which gratify the gods. I have propitiated the god by doing his will, I have given bread to the hungry man, and water to him that was athirst, and apparel to the naked man, and a ferry-boat to him that had no boat. I have made propitiatory offerings and given cakes to the gods, and the "things which appear at the word" to the Spirits."

Imperial Dave

???

metaphorically speaking of course
Slingshot Editor

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Erpingham on February 02, 2021, 03:58:38 PM

"The Negative Confession (also known as The Declaration of Innocence) is a list of 42 sins which the soul of the deceased can honestly say it has never committed when it stands in judgment in the afterlife. "

Interesting. Reminds me of the 10 Commandments with some refinements.

Erpingham

Quote from: Justin Swanton on February 02, 2021, 05:38:29 PM
Quote from: Erpingham on February 02, 2021, 03:58:38 PM

Interesting. Reminds me of the 10 Commandments with some refinements.

There are also quite similar Mesopotamian texts.  You might also compare Matthew 25 (the parable of the sheep and the goats) e.g.

34 "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

It seems similar moral ideas were swirling around the ancient Middle East for quite a while.  Such things do risk taking us from the true path of military history though :)

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Erpingham on February 02, 2021, 05:57:10 PM
Such things do risk taking us from the true path of military history though :)

True. I can imagine the 10 Commandments of a Hannibal being somewhat different.

Justin Swanton

Dragging this into SoA relevance, it prompted me to think of the kind of 10 Commandments Hannibal would come up with. This is my effort:

1. I am thy Commander and Lord, Hannibal the Illustrious. Thou shalt heed my every word, else the afterlife thou desirest shalt immediately be thine.
2. Thou shalt despise the Romans as a cowardly and degenerate people, easy prey for the noble arms of Carthage.
3. Thou shalt fight like the Romans and use their weapons and tactics.
4. Thou shalt kill every Roman thou clappest eyes upon.
5. Thou shalt not kill any Ally, but shalt embrace him as a brother and send him on his way.
6. Thou shalt pillage the lands of Romans and Allies alike, to show thou art boss.
7. Thou shalt kill every Roman thou clappest eyes upon.
8. If the field be in thy favour and the Romans will not fight thee, thou shalt call them by their true names: cowards and sons of mangy dogs, to provoke them to battle.
9. If the field be not in thy favour, thou shalt not fight the Romans, though they name thee cowards and sons of mangy dogs.
10. Thou shalt kill every Roman thou clappest eyes upon.

Nick Harbud

???

Things are so much easier when all one has to do is get one's mother to open the pearly gates.....
Nick Harbud

Mark G

Justin,

I think you doubled up and missed a couple.

Never press your advantage to achieve strategic victory

Always hang around waiting for a surrender when the chance presents itself

Always assume your enemy thinks like you do