News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Abbasids vs Carthage with Optio (yet again)

Started by Justin Swanton, September 11, 2022, 07:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Swanton

Here is the battle report. A well-deserved victory to Peter. Optio works smoothly and delivered a result after about 2 1/2 hours. The pre-battle terrain game was very quick.

I promise to try different armies next time.  ::)

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Justin Swanton

One erratum: I said the Abbasid Light Foot were javelineers. They were in fact skirmisher bow, which have a somewhat greater range.

FYI here are the shooting ranges in Optio:

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Justin Swanton

Here's another Optio game I played with Noel Zaal. Same armies and result. I'm a hopeless Optio player. To add insult to injury the game was decided by a throw of the dice, when my commander was killed and that triggered a general rout.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Justin Swanton

One minor erratum: after the death of my commander the Abbasid army actually took 2 turns to fall apart: the LI went that turn then in melee next turn the MC folded and their rout took the rest of the army with them.

dwkay57

Has the Caliphate worked out any tactics that may yet mean her men can beat Carthage?
Feels to me like they aren't making best use of their bows or superior numbers to stretch the enemy line.
David

Justin Swanton

Quote from: dwkay57 on September 14, 2022, 09:49:04 AM
Has the Caliphate worked out any tactics that may yet mean her men can beat Carthage?
Feels to me like they aren't making best use of their bows or superior numbers to stretch the enemy line.
They definitely need to use their cavalry better: the extra LH means they should win on one wing and hold on the other (I was just careless). They need to delay the infantry fight as long as possible until the cavalry fight is won, then use the cavalry to rear or flank charge the Carth infantry into disorder after which their own infantry can engage it at better odds. I must try a solo game to see if it works.

dwkay57

I also noted that your skirmisher bows seem to have a shorter range than other bows. I tend to have it the other way around based on the assumption (possibly faulty) that open order infantry (and cavalry) would breakaway in small groups to close, shoot and fall back whilst non-open order troops tend to retain more of a line and so fewer would venture forward for shooting but stick to volley / mass type shooting when the enemy gets within shorter range.
David

Justin Swanton

Quote from: dwkay57 on September 15, 2022, 08:59:57 AM
I also noted that your skirmisher bows seem to have a shorter range than other bows. I tend to have it the other way around based on the assumption (possibly faulty) that open order infantry (and cavalry) would breakaway in small groups to close, shoot and fall back whilst non-open order troops tend to retain more of a line and so fewer would venture forward for shooting but stick to volley / mass type shooting when the enemy gets within shorter range.

Interesting point. I base my skirmisher and massed bow ranges on the notion that skirmishers are direct LOS shooters with smaller bows (to remain agile) whereas massed bow shoot overhead to extreme range using larger bows (the smaller and larger bow bit is up for debate). Shooting at extreme range is, counterintuitively, very accurate. You just need to make sure your arrows land at a precise distance (you can't laterally miss your target), and that is more easily done at extreme as opposed to shorter range. We've had some discussions on this.