News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Rome vs Carthage with Optio

Started by Justin Swanton, September 25, 2022, 08:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Swanton

Another game with my playtester Peter. The pre-battle terrain game was really fast and was wrapped up in about 5 minutes, and the game itself took about two hours. Rome brings a legion (or two legions depending on the ground scale), some Auxilia and cavalry to the fight, whilst Carthage replied with Poeni Spearmen, Gallic Warband, Slingers, Numidian LH and Carthaginian cavalry. The cavalry engagement was a wild see-saw affair and it decided the battle.

Pdf here. Enjoy!

Imperial Dave

excellent report Justin. I almost just want to play the scouting game in its own right  :). Some lovely touches in the main game wrt the rules. Big fan of certain skirmishers, in this case the velites, forming back up into the main body of the line troops after they have done their biz. Great game flow and as you say in the balance until the end.

and a picture of dice...what more could a wargamer want  ;D
Slingshot Editor

Justin Swanton

Thanks Dave. :)  If ever you feel like an online game with Vassal let me know.

And to make you feel even better...

Imperial Dave

ah, dice to make the heart flutter  ::)
Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

Good read Justin. Peter is obviously well suited to being a cunning general of Carthage. Better watch out in the campaign!
David

Justin Swanton

Quote from: dwkay57 on September 25, 2022, 09:41:36 AM
Good read Justin. Peter is obviously well suited to being a cunning general of Carthage. Better watch out in the campaign!

He discovered wargaming only a couple of months ago, and he's in his 50's. What a tragic waste of a life!  :'(

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Justin Swanton

Yes, he's a fast learner. Natural wargamer who's making up for lost time.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor