News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

A little bit like Brunanburgh

Started by Chris, October 23, 2022, 02:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Gentlemen,

Here is the link to my latest effort, a familiar battle with a dark ages flavor. (Come to think of it, I have been watching some reruns of VIKINGS lately . . .)

Thanks in advance for your consideration and comments/critique.

https://nopaintingrequired.blogspot.com/search/label/A%20Bit%20Like%20Brunanburgh

Cheers,
Chris

Imperial Dave

great game report Chris and I do love the use of those unit markers
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Interesting to see the old South Yorkshire location make a reappearance - Bromborough on the Wirral seems to be the bookies' favourite these days.  Not that I think that affects the terrain choices. 

Always difficult with these British early medieval battles to make them stand out - they can be a bit lacking in nuance.  This does have the advantage of different ethnicities on each side, which can be tweaked to create some differences but it's still largely shieldwall on shieldwall stuff.

Chris

Cheers Gents,

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment or compliment.

Yes, the shieldwall contest(s) can be a bit of a slog on the tabletop.

Chris

dwkay57

Not sure I agree with you Chris in that a "thigh high" stream isn't an obstacle to movement nor fighting.

It is interesting to use different regional terrains to see how they affect the choice of army tactics.

Mind you I am envious that Chris has a bigger table than me!
David

Chris

David,

Thanks for the feedback. (It is always a bit unnerving or disconcerting to post something and then just wait as the number of views increases at a turtle's pace and the number of replies remains frozen at 0.

Concerned about a possible mistake (among others), I went back to the original report and checked. Here is the full description:
The stream was no real impediment to man or beast; in its deepest parts, it only came up to a short man's thighs. The vast majority of the watercourse would only soak feet and dampen shins.

So, point taken, but I don't want to get into a discussion of what counted as "short" in the 10th century.

As is often said, size doesn't matter. [sidebar: stumbled across a shocking news items this morning about a BBC documentary where size does matter . . .]

I admire your terrain, figures, and thorough rules David, so you have no reason to turn a slight shade of green as it were.

Cheers,
Chris

Erpingham

QuoteNot sure I agree with you Chris in that a "thigh high" stream isn't an obstacle to movement nor fighting.

What counted as a fordable watercourse was up for debate.  During the Ghent War, during the assault on the bridge at Espierres, Jaques de Lalaing and other men-at-arms launched an attack wading across a river neck deep in full armour.  History does not reveal how long it took them to dry out afterwards.

dwkay57

I wouldn't worry about the number of views or comments Chris - as my wife says about my posts etc. "as long as it keeps you happy and out of mischief"!

In terms water courses being barriers, I'm just aware of when walking the footpaths around north Essex how a stream can block one's progress (even if not weighed down by armour or trying to avoid arrows or fighting someone on the other bank) and also there are in my local area a whole line of WW2 pillboxes just set back a river to act as a second line of defence in the case of an invasion.
David

Imperial Dave

There are a few around where I live on the defended side of a river crossing
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: dwkay57 on October 27, 2022, 09:16:44 AM
I wouldn't worry about the number of views or comments Chris - as my wife says about my posts etc. "as long as it keeps you happy and out of mischief"!

Though its always gratifying when someone acknowledges they found something useful or interesting.  Better still when they engage with the subject.  But maybe that's just me being a bit sad  :-\

Chris

Very much agree with the first two sentences there, Anthony. Respectfully submit that the third sentence might have more to do with reflection and or being thoughtful as opposed to being sad.

Still missing the indefatigable Patrick Waterson, who could always be relied on to engage.

Cheers,
Chris

Erpingham

QuoteStill missing the indefatigable Patrick Waterson, who could always be relied on to engage.

True.  Your moderator would not have to worry quite as much about traffic flow and how to boost it with Pat around.  :)   I would point to the sterling efforts of Holly in the modern age.  He responds, engages regularly, creates "content" - he is both the highest poster and the highest topic starter - and is always good-humoured.  Appreciated.

Chris

Agreed. And my bad for the overlook. :-[

Perhaps in his spare time with his new role, he might explore developing "the Holly" - which I see as a kind of SoA Oscar or Tony award (what's the UK equivalent? BAFTA?), complete with nominations, categories, acceptance speeches, and being played off the stage after your 3 minutes are up!

Chris

Erpingham

QuoteOscar or Tony award (what's the UK equivalent? BAFTA?)

BAFTA for film and TV, Oliviers for stage.

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Erpingham on October 29, 2022, 03:04:25 PM
QuoteStill missing the indefatigable Patrick Waterson, who could always be relied on to engage.

True.  Your moderator would not have to worry quite as much about traffic flow and how to boost it with Pat around.  :)   I would point to the sterling efforts of Holly in the modern age.  He responds, engages regularly, creates "content" - he is both the highest poster and the highest topic starter - and is always good-humoured.  Appreciated.

Why thank you kind sir. I just hope my enthusiasm isn't too much for some. I do have a habit of disappearing down rabbit holes  :P
Slingshot Editor