News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

In bronze age Greece, first cousin marriage encouraged

Started by davidb, January 17, 2023, 02:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidb

DBS

Bit like Norfolk then...

Not very surprising given the likely size of communities, esp on the islands, and, as mentioned, the paucity of workable land.  My only issue is with the headline of "encouraged", since we can have no idea if that was the case, as opposed to "commonplace"; it is one thing to note phenomena, another to ascribe definitive motivation.

One might for balance also note that the depredations of the Mycenaeans meant that other parts of their communities were getting significant influxes of new genetic variation given the numbers of foreign female slaves attested in palace tablets.  So a bit like Viking Iceland...
David Stevens

Erpingham

Although the sample size is quite small too, split between mainland and island.  While fine with the analysis, it really poses a question of how widespread the practice was both in terms of timescale and geography. 

Unfortunately, although the article provides a journal link, the website doesn't contain the article, which probably gave more detail on this.  I'd guess they only release articles after a period of time, rather than immediately.

Anton

First cousin marriage was/is popular in lots of places.  Often because it ensures land remains in family ownership.

Nick Harbud

...and, of course, by the time the Macedonians arrived in Egypt they had cut out all the aunts, uncles and other middlemen in favour of marriage between siblings.

:P
Nick Harbud

Justin Swanton

Quote from: NickHarbud on January 18, 2023, 09:26:48 AM
...and, of course, by the time the Macedonians arrived in Egypt they had cut out all the aunts, uncles and other middlemen in favour of marriage between siblings.

The maxim of the Seleucid royal family seems to have been: murder your brother and marry your sister. :o

Anton

The Royal Houses only I think Nick and I'd guess polygamy may have diluted the negative effects.

There are some physical health problems that come with long term practice of cousin marriage. 

I read (work stuff) a report on the issue concerning a diaspora community some years ago.  I found it interesting that cousin marriage persisted to preserve family land rights in the country of origin even though those practicing it received no direct benefit from it.  Even unto the third generation of the original immigrants.

nikgaukroger

Quote from: NickHarbud on January 18, 2023, 09:26:48 AM

Or marrying your step-mother in one case.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

nikgaukroger

Quote from: Anton on January 18, 2023, 10:13:14 AM
The Royal Houses only I think Nick and I'd guess polygamy may have diluted the negative effects.

I think you are correct about just royalty.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Jim Webster

Cousin marriage has actually been quite common in landowning families as it kept the land within the family. Important when there wasn't really enough as there was and the last thing you needed was it going out of the family. Seen in this country in the 19th and early 20th century

Anton

It is interesting to see it in the context of the prevailing legal system. 

Under ancient and medieval Irish law an individual's land rights were determined by paternity.  Who ever your father was that is where your political and economic entitlements and obligations lay.  Maternal kin could be important, especially for the aristocracy, but no rights came by that route. A divorced woman returning to her family got a lifetimes half share unless she remarried.  Her children got nothing.

The whole system was geared to preserving land ownership within the extended family group.

Nick Harbud

In English common law there is the concept of 'fee tail' or 'entail' that is used to prevent the breakup of large estates by restricting how much land may be sold and preventing it from being split up amongst multiple heirs.  More details may be found here.

Back to the topic.  Of course, marriage to cousins and other example of inbreeding amongst the English ruling classes explain a lot of the problems found in modern society.

Nick Harbud

Jim Webster

Quote from: NickHarbud on January 20, 2023, 02:56:47 PM
In English common law there is the concept of 'fee tail' or 'entail' that is used to prevent the breakup of large estates by restricting how much land may be sold and preventing it from being split up amongst multiple heirs.  More details may be found here.

Back to the topic.  Of course, marriage to cousins and other example of inbreeding amongst the English ruling classes explain a lot of the problems found in modern society.

This raises an interesting point. We know of a number of cases where important people could set wives aside because they were too closely related (far less close than cousins) Louis VII of France being an example. The reason for the divorce may have been different, but the close relationship provided the excuse
I wonder if cousin marriage was in landowning families far lower down the social pyramid?