News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

‘Oldest Roman library Discovered Beneath German City’

Started by Imperial Dave, May 08, 2023, 08:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Swanton

"Excuse me, I've got an old overdue scroll that's been in the family for centuries....gosh, what happened to the place?"

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Imperial Dave on May 08, 2023, 10:47:32 AMthat'll be 17000 aurei please for the fine
Whaaaat? That's $5,100,000! A typical library fine is 17 cents a day. We've had the wretched scroll for 17 centuries so that's $0,17 x 365 x 1700 = $105,485. Can I see your librarian credentials please?

Erpingham

Quote from: Justin Swanton on May 08, 2023, 11:07:26 AM
Quote from: Imperial Dave on May 08, 2023, 10:47:32 AMthat'll be 17000 aurei please for the fine
Whaaaat? That's $5,100,000! A typical library fine is 17 cents a day. We've had the wretched scroll for 17 centuries so that's $0,17 x 365 x 1700 = $105,485. Can I see your librarian credentials please?
Interestingly, when I checked what our library fines are, I discovered we are scrapping them in July, which I wouldn't have known.  However, any book outstanding for longer than two months will be billed as lost, so replacement cost.  How much does an original Roman scroll in good condition go for these days?

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Erpingham on May 08, 2023, 11:20:56 AM
Interestingly, when I checked what our library fines are, I discovered we are scrapping them in July, which I wouldn't have known.  However, any book outstanding for longer than two months will be billed as lost, so replacement cost.  How much does an original Roman scroll in good condition go for these days?
In Roman times a scroll cost between $40 and $100 in contemporary terms. I'll go with that. Now I just need to find a legitimate representative of His Imperial Majesty's government, or of the appropriate Roman family if the library is privately owned, and settle the business.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Ernie  "Have you got the scrolls?"
Eric "No, I always walk like this"

Jim Webster

Quote from: Justin Swanton on May 08, 2023, 11:31:30 AM
Quote from: Erpingham on May 08, 2023, 11:20:56 AM
In Roman times a scroll cost between $40 and $100 in contemporary terms. I'll go with that. Now I just need to find a legitimate representative of His Imperial Majesty's government, or of the appropriate Roman family if the library is privately owned, and settle the business.

Theoretically, given that the first bishops of Rome and elsewhere could be ejected from their sees by the Emperor, it may be that the Pope could be the nearest thing you can find  8)

Erpingham

Quote from: Jim Webster on May 09, 2023, 10:37:56 AMTheoretically, given that the first bishops of Rome and elsewhere could be ejected from their sees by the Emperor, it may be that the Pope could be the nearest thing you can find  8)

Do we know what the Vatican library's fines policy is?

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Jim Webster on May 09, 2023, 10:37:56 AMTheoretically, given that the first bishops of Rome and elsewhere could be ejected from their sees by the Emperor, it may be that the Pope could be the nearest thing you can find  8)
Nah. More like one of these gentlemen. Personally my money (!) is on Alexander, Crown Prince of Yugoslavia. He is descended from the kings of Greece who IMHO had the most legitimate claim to be successors of the Byzantine Emperors who themselves were the successors of the Roman Emperors. I need to find out Alex's attitude towards library fines.

Edit: a little digging reveals that the Greek royal family goes back by direct male descent to Louis IV, Holy Roman Emperor. So that clinches it.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Tarnegol

Quote from: Imperial Dave on May 09, 2023, 09:31:52 PMAlexander the librarian

Now you're just being silly. Everybody knows that it's Conan the Librarian.
One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Jim Webster

Quote from: Justin Swanton on May 09, 2023, 11:14:28 AM
Nah. More like one of these gentlemen. Personally my money (!) is on Alexander, Crown Prince of Yugoslavia. He is descended from the kings of Greece who IMHO had the most legitimate claim to be successors of the Byzantine Emperors who themselves were the successors of the Roman Emperors. I need to find out Alex's attitude towards library fines.

Edit: a little digging reveals that the Greek royal family goes back by direct male descent to Louis IV, Holy Roman Emperor. So that clinches it.

Most European royal families can trace back to Charlemagne who must trump a mere Holy Roman Emperor?

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Jim Webster on May 10, 2023, 12:14:11 PMMost European royal families can trace back to Charlemagne who must trump a mere Holy Roman Emperor?
It's a bonus. Being Greek and having one king called Constantine was the real clincher.