News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Achaemenid Chariots in Action - on both sides!

Started by Keraunos, October 04, 2023, 07:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keraunos

I have finally got around to writing up a report of a battle fought over 4 years ago between the army of a rebellious Persian Satrap and Achaemenid loyalists.  Both sides fielded some scythed chariots and both managed to use them successfully, which is against the run of play from what we know of history but doubtless not unprecedented in wargaming circles.  The full account can be found here

A taster picture of the main chariot charge is attached.  Nothing like the vast chariot clashes that others have recently been posting on, just an addendum.You cannot view this attachment.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Jon Freitag

Super battle and report!  I am amazed that you can recall the battle specifics after a four-year hiatus.

Keraunos

I have not been able to play that many games, so don't have a lot to recall!

dwkay57

Interesting report, especially the conclusion, which did have some similarities to my early attempts with computer aided rules and having to clear the table for meals!

For the weapon supply issue I have an algorithm (no it's not too painful) which takes into account: how long the battle has been going on, whether the troops are barbarian, regular or irregular, and how far they are from their baggage. All I do is count and enter the hexes and the mechanism applies an adjustment to the factors.
David

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Keraunos on October 04, 2023, 11:13:34 PMI have not been able to play that many games, so don't have a lot to recall!

I hear you....
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Keraunos on October 04, 2023, 11:13:34 PMI have not been able to play that many games, so don't have a lot to recall!

You clearly intended a write up, given how well illustrated the report is.  Did you also have notes to work from?  If not, a very impressive feat of memory.

BTW, having a dedicated wargames table won't necessarily ensure priority access.  Mine is covered in heaps of clothing from the latest "Marie Kondo-ing" session (Harry Potter had a sorting hat but I have a sorting table). It also serves as a present wrapping table and occassionally a sewing table. Small price to pay for domestic harmony, though  :)

Keraunos

I did an e-mail to a friend outlining the battle at the time, which helped make sense of some of the pictures.  I can't vouch for complete accuracy though!

I know what you mean about a dedicated table still not being sufficient.  In Hong Kong I now have my own workshop/study/games room but am finding myself crowded out by my son and his rapidly growing collection of 1860s Japanese, Chinese, British and French figures.  The shed I used here in England has been taken over in my absence for storage purposes!

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Keraunos on October 05, 2023, 10:59:06 AMThe shed I used here in England has been taken over in my absence for storage purposes!

The horror...
Slingshot Editor