News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Elagabalus "reclassified"

Started by Imperial Dave, November 21, 2023, 05:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Keraunos

Can we infer a touch of political interference by local council member? 

Imperial Dave

Possibly but I won't comment further  :D
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

It is interesting that the BBC writer continues to use he/him, even reporting an article where a provincial museum has decided on she/her.

DBS

So, front page of the BBC for a small sign in a small museum about one single coin belonging to a... colourful... but inconsequential princeps. :o
David Stevens

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Imperial Dave on November 21, 2023, 07:38:33 PMIt's a quiet news day

Well, it makes a change from the Gaza War, the Covid enquiry and the dead teenagers in Wales  :(

Imperial Dave

Yes, that one about the lads in North Wales affected me quite badly. It's the kind of thing I used to do when I was their age. Very very tragic
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Imperial Dave on November 21, 2023, 09:24:09 PMYes, that one about the lads in North Wales affected me quite badly. It's the kind of thing I used to do when I was their age. Very very tragic

At their age, I went on a road trip to Cornwall with three mates in one's car.  On one dark night we nearly had a prang on a country road.  There but for the grace of God .....

This one got to me.

Imperial Dave

I had a similar bunch of mates and we used to drive into to the Brecon Beacons to hike and camp when we were doing our A-levels. I could really identify with these poor lads
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Imperial Dave on November 22, 2023, 06:21:47 AMI had a similar bunch of mates and we used to drive into to the Brecon Beacons to hike and camp when we were doing our A-levels. I could really identify with these poor lads

Yes, it is a genuinely sad story and I too feel it. I remember driving up through the west coast of the lake district on a camping trip and another car came round a corner so fast and wide I avoided them by driving on their inside on the wrong side of the road.
We all have our stories, it's just theirs has no happy ending. Rest in Peace.

Imperial Dave

Of course. Nero and Caligula did spring to mind as stated in the article as "assassinated" characters. In the end we won't know and as Mary Besrd says perhaps we shouldn't paint them with modern labels
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Imperial Dave on November 25, 2023, 06:23:06 AMwe shouldn't paint them with modern labels

A proper historian's answer  :) Trouble is, writers do tend to shape a narrative around terms we understand, to help us access the past.  In this case, rushing to stick modern labels on a coin collection leads to massive over-simplification of a complex story.  But it did give a chance for journalists to speak to proper historians and highlight something about Ancient Rome many (like me) didn't know.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor