News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Farmers damage Spanish pre roman site

Started by Imperial Dave, January 18, 2024, 03:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Harbud

One cannot damn the Spanish farmers too loudly.  I mean, Fishbourne Palace was only discovered when someone wanted to lay a water main and wondered what all these strange tesserae were doing in the trench that was being dug...

:P
Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Yes but one wonders how often workmen see something in the ground and the site manager hastily calls in the jcb to obliterate it just in case.....
Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

Normally the thing guaranteed to bring work to a halt is when the diggers start bringing up human-looking bones.  Within towns and cities, these are often associated with plague pits and there can be an associated bio-hazard.  However, sometimes the remains are more recent.  For example, one guy I knew was involved with construction of Glanford Power Station.  Work was halted when they unearthed remains from a previous chemical plant on the site.

One of the more gruesome stories from my past... :(
Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

No.  The nearest I came to such an eerie moment was when watching a film produced by the Institution of Chemical Engineers on the hazards of thermal runaway reactions and how to avoid them.  As might be imagined, it contained lots of pictures from blown up chemical plants, the suppliers of which were duly credited at the end of the film.  As the names scrolled by, I became aware that they bore a disturbing resemblance to my own resumé.

:-[
Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor