News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Plagues and the roman empire

Started by Imperial Dave, January 29, 2024, 06:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Harbud

An interesting article.  I am not entirely convinced about the cause/effect relationship between weather, disease and the fortunes of empires.  IMHO, it is much more complex than we like to imagine.

Incidentally, did you see the link on the page to an article from a couple of years previously regarding a Roman road found at the bottom of the Venice Lagoon?

Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Ian61

Quote from: Nick Harbud on January 30, 2024, 11:15:35 AMI am not entirely convinced about the cause/effect relationship between weather, disease and the fortunes of empires.  IMHO, it is much more complex than we like to imagine.

I think you are quite right about complexity. Unfortunately 'people' as a whole seem to like simple ideas - this happened because of.....' (insert current 'idea of the month'). For books it seems going off the well trodden pathways helps authors stand out from the crowd and therefore get sales. I am reminded by a lecture given to my sixth formers many years ago (I forget who by) but they asked the question "What is a newspaper for?" The students dutifully came up with some worthy suggestions but the ultimate answer they were informed could only be "to make money!" :o

That said I confess to having thoroughly enjoyed Pathogenesis: How Germs Made History by Jonathan Kennedy. He would probably argue that historians as a class have not traditionally been particularly interested in diseases and have perhaps too quickly disregarded them as factors in history. History is actually complicated - who knew? ;)  :)

Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

Quote from: Imperial Dave on January 30, 2024, 01:21:43 PMyes

bit wet to use though

How can anywhere be too wet for a Welshman?    ???

You just need to break out the Land Rover/tractor/RIB.

;D

Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor