News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Amphipolis again - with a new opponent

Started by Justin Swanton, June 23, 2024, 06:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Swanton

Phil Sabin kindly agreed to give Optio a whirl. We did Amphopolis as the armies are small and the troops types few. After the game he gave some useful input but I don't know if it's really his cup of tea. Report here.

Imperial Dave

nice work. Useful to get Phil's input
Slingshot Editor

Justin Swanton

I did a punt for Legion in the post. Still one of my favourite Ancients hex and dice games.

Completely by the way, I created a VASSAL module for Phil's FD Lite fighter game. Available here on the VASSAL website but there'll be an amended version soon.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

Interesting to see you use the same starting tactics against different opponents. Would it work a third time?
Your Athenian general has quite good eyesight to spot problems all the way across the line.
David

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Justin Swanton

Quote from: dwkay57 on July 11, 2024, 09:24:41 AMInteresting to see you use the same starting tactics against different opponents. Would it work a third time?
Your Athenian general has quite good eyesight to spot problems all the way across the line.
They were small armies - he was aware of a problem 400m away. Even in big armies the general could dance around the place (Gaugamela frex). And don't forget the Golden Rule: Always let the player do more than an historical general could.

dwkay57

400m doesn't sound too far - even I might make out something at that distance.

In face-to-face games it is more difficult to make players stick to what their model figures might reasonably know, so your golden rule applies. However, in solo games it is a bit easier. In my two most recent battles, the army commanders were playing inside-right and decided to advance into a valley. This meant they didn't know their left-wingers had gone home until the enemy was upon them.
David