News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Salt and beer Roman "mega-industries"...

Started by DBS, August 11, 2024, 09:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBS

Beer and salt among Roman 'mega-industries'

A fine demonstration by Oxford Archaeology on how to exploit media silly season.  Some of it seems perfectly reasonable, especially the salt, though I do wonder whether there is any evidence, as opposed to supposition, regarding the ovens being used for malting.
David Stevens

Cantabrigian

Well if they weren't being used for pizzas, then malting sounds more likely than "drying grain' which they give as the alternative.

Erpingham

I believe the idea is they needed to dry the grain for storage.  Jim, I'm sure, can explain the technicalities based on modern practice.  As to beer drinking, I think I recall the Celts were beer drinkers so why not the Romano-British? 

Jim Webster

Quote from: Cantabrigian on August 11, 2024, 09:49:45 AMWell if they weren't being used for pizzas, then malting sounds more likely than "drying grain' which they give as the alternative.

I'm not sure, a lot of grain was dried or even 'parched' in damp climates to make it easier to mill.

I found this document https://historicengland.org.uk/research/results/reports/6573/ECONOMICACTIVITIESATROCESTERSTAFFORDSHIREINTHEROMANSAXONANDMEDIEVALPERIODS%3BTHEEVIDENCEFROMTHECHARREDPLANTREMAINS

Which discusses the issue.
Even now, it's a rare summer where you don't have to dry some grain to ensure that it is dry enough even for storage

(but malting barley is a sensible use of the oven, same oven, different grain, different day :-)

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

It all sounded pretty obvious to me and the fish sauce production is undoubtedly the origin of British tastes for tomato ketchup and vinegar on one's chips. 

Just think, without the Romans we would all be slathering mayonnaise on our fried potatoes...  :o
Nick Harbud

DBS

Quote from: Nick Harbud on August 11, 2024, 12:14:47 PMJust think, without the Romans we would all be slathering mayonnaise on our fried potatoes...
I must be a Belgian then; mayonnaise or salt, pepper, vinegar are the only acceptable dressings on chips.  The mayonnaise is improved further with a good dose of garlic mixed in...
David Stevens

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

DBS

Plus, one has to account for the approximate millennium between the Romans disappearing with their garum, and the arrival of both the potato, chips for the rendering of, and the tomato, ketchup for the slathering of, to these fair shores.

Other than that, an immaculate argument from Oxford Archaeology.

EDIT - unless of course the Welsh Lost Tribe of Israel was popping back across the Atlantic with supplies of either...
David Stevens

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Sorry to be a bit dull, but returning to the subject of the article.  Could brewing have been a "Roman mega-industry"?  The one solid bit of evidence in the article seems to point to something similar in scale to medieval brewing.  Given the absence of good transport infrastructure and the poor keeping quality of beer, was the main scale of the industry at estate/hospitality premises level, with very local distribution?

Nick Harbud

You mean, were the Romans early adopters of Red Barrel?

It would certainly explain the decline and fall of the Empire.

:P
Nick Harbud

Erpingham

Quote from: Nick Harbud on August 11, 2024, 03:59:44 PMYou mean, were the Romans early adopters of Red Barrel?

For overseas and younger members, Red Barrel was a keg beer made by the London brewery Watneys.  It had two main faults; it was awful and Watneys attempted to acquire/assimilate lots of regional breweries and turn them into Red Barrel plants.  This led to places (e.g. Northamptonshire when I was younger) being dubbed "Watney's deserts" where there was no beer to be had, just Red Barrel.  It was an evil time  :( Things are much better now. :)

Imperial Dave

Ouch...

Depends how they made their beer...if high attenuated it might have survived for longer than a Loz Truss govt
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Imperial Dave on August 11, 2024, 04:12:50 PMOuch...

Depends how they made their beer...if high attenuated it might have survived for longer than a Loz Truss govt

I could say something about lettuces, but that would be political and banned  :-X