News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Villa found near Loughborough

Started by Imperial Dave, September 02, 2024, 06:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Ian61

I am convinced there was much more in Roman Britain than has been assumed in the past as I have commented before. Fully expect a surge of finds in next few years.
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Imperial Dave

As LIDAR is used and refined more we will undoubtedly identify more. It's then just a case of getting spades in the ground....
Slingshot Editor

Keraunos

Is LIDAR better than drought?  I recall the excitement in 1976 when drought conditions allowed aerial photography to reveal a vast number of new sites for investigation, and wonder what percentage of what was picked up then has been investigated?

Imperial Dave

Good question. Not sure of the comparison but presumably LIDAR is.moee predictable
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Parchmarks are very good for showing up buried stonework e.g. a villa.  LIDAR I think would be my choice for "lumps and bumps".  Parching, of course, requires the right conditions over time.  Doubt if many new sites will have been spotted in UK this "summer".  Don't know much about modern LIDAR techniques or how available it is to archaeologists these days.

Nick Harbud

The first chapter of this book has useful summary of archaeological investigation techniques, particularly with regard to prehistoric remains in Wales and is worth buying it simply for this.  However, I got it because it complements that section of my bookcase dealing with Welsh fortifications.

As Anthony points out, LIDAR is very good for spotting the lumps and bumps.  However, parch marks are better for remains that lie below flat, ploughed-over fields.  In either case, one can now employ a geophysics team before letting loose a pack of hairy-arsed skilled diggers loose on the ground.

8)
Nick Harbud