News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Agathocles in Africa

Started by Prufrock, September 02, 2024, 09:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prufrock

For something different I thought I would try a battle I didn't know a great deal about, Tunis, 310 BC, part of an expedition by Agathocles, tyrant of Syracuse, to hit Carthage in its own territory.

The first post features the initial dispositions and the second the battle itself.

As usual for me, the rules used are Phil Sabin's Lost Battles / Strategos system, and the game was played solo.

I think I need to read up a little more on Agathocles. He seems to have been quite an interesting character!

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Keraunos

I must read up on Agathocles and Phil Sabin's rules.  Ignorance is not bliss.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Duncan Head

For those unfamiliar with the battle, the source is Diodorus XX.10-13.
Duncan Head

Prufrock

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Lots of interesting things in that battle.  Plenty of morale related stuff, anti-chariot tactics, the ineffectiveness of cavalry against formed hoplites, the lack of situational awareness that leaves troops at the back of a formation clueless about why the army is retreating - lots of things to recreate in a refight.

Imperial Dave

Indeed. Good observations Anthony
Slingshot Editor

Prufrock

Yes, it's a good one all right.

Ian61

Did you get to release any owls? It's an aspect I found very odd. It seems Agathocles had been collecting owls and then released them to improve morale. I brought it up in the Alala! Facebook pages little while ago to add a card for this - 'release the owls'.  :)
(Check out 11.4 in Duncan's reference)
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Duncan Head

Duncan Head

Erpingham

Quote from: Ian61 on September 03, 2024, 08:19:27 AMI brought it up in the Alala! Facebook pages little while ago to add a card for this

Does this suggest that you have been tempted to try a refight with Alala!? 

Ian61

Quote from: Erpingham on September 03, 2024, 11:54:36 AM
Quote from: Ian61 on September 03, 2024, 08:19:27 AMI brought it up in the Alala! Facebook pages little while ago to add a card for this

Does this suggest that you have been tempted to try a refight with Alala!? 

Indeed it's one I would like to do but we will have to work out some chariot rules first.
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Erpingham

Quote from: Ian61 on September 03, 2024, 01:53:16 PMwe will have to work out some chariot rules first.

Should be fun, as, from what I recall of earlier conversations, we don't know a lot about how Carthaginian chariots operated.