News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Masada siege "quicker and more efficient"

Started by Duncan Head, September 04, 2024, 09:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan Head

https://www.theguardian.com/science/article/2024/sep/04/romans-siege-wall-masada-archaeology-israel

"Our workload calculations show that 5,000 men could have built the siege system around Masada in 11-16 days,"
Duncan Head

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Given the British army military handbooks had these sort of engineering details back before 1914, I'm surprised it hasn't come up sooner?

lionheartrjc

Wish my builders could work that quickly!

I visited Masada about 40 years ago.  Amazing site. The outline of the Roman camps were clearly visible from the fortress.

The amount you would have to drink to support that amount of physical effort, they would need a good water supply.  There are a number of streams that flow into the Dead Sea in the area. You also need firewood for baking. Patrols to protect the foragers. All tasks which reduce the available numbers to actually construct the works.

DBS

It is causing a bit of upset in Israel, despite it being a proposition from Israeli archaeologists, because Masada is such a part of modern Israeli identity and received knowledge; given current political context, could not have come at worse moment.  I still have fond memories of the tv miniseries where all the Judaean white hats were played by US actors, and all the dastardly Roman black hats were British actors headed bu Peter O'Toole...
David Stevens

Nick Harbud

As one TV critic put it at the time "...thus handing the Roman Empire yet another victory."

;D
Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor