News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Carnforth, Lancs.

Started by Old Guy, January 09, 2015, 02:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Guy

I have just joined, and generally have plenty of spare time, I attend the local club in Lancaster, but would also like to game more. I play Dux Britanniarum, Wars of the Roses (Poleaxed) and recently Dark Ages (War and Conquest).

George

www.combatcartography.co.uk
www.musingswargameslife.blogspot.co.uk
Visit my site or blog at:

Justin Swanton

And very glad to have you, George. You'll find us a friendly bunch who like to argue from time to time - mainly about history. I think you'll enjoy your stay.

I notice from your website your interest in the Rhodesian War. Were you involved in any way? What software do you use to draw your maps? Your Brunanburh one is very nicely done. Illustrator and Photoshop?

Prufrock

Welcome aboard George! I'm not in Lancs unfortunately, but have followed your blog. That War & Conquest game looks spectacular, as does your campaign cartography. All the best for finding a few more players locally!

Jim Webster

We're round the corner from you in Barrow in Furness. Sometimes do an all day game. For ancients we tend to play Impetus

Jim

Dave Knight

Following your blog as well

Patrick Waterson

Someone who can do maps this well is a real asset to the Society: welcome, George!

In case you were worried, we shall not be twisting your arm to do maps for us - but you can always offer if you feel inclined. :)
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Old Guy

Thanks for the welcome. I was a member in the early 80's, even won a prize at the time  :)

I could possibly help out with maps depending on what projects I have on at the time, so by all means ask.

Dave, you probably know some friends of mine, Billy Stephens and Robert Thomson from Airdrie.

I know where you are Jim, we were in touch on the Impetus Forums before I decided on War & Conquest.

Justin, I have provided maps for three books on conflicts in Africa and in doing so have communicated with some people who were involved in those combats, some very interesting men. My only involvement was spending ten weeks off Beira pretending to stop contraband getting to Mr. Smiths government, with the only upside being a week off in Mombasa at the end of it. I only use Illustrator, I know some people swap between the two, but I find for my purposes Illustrator does everything (and more) than I need, an excellent programme.

Dave Knight

I do indeed know Billy and Robert, although they have not been along to the Falkirk Club for a while now

rodge

Welcome George
I see you did the Potomac publications ACW maps, I own all the books and have pored over them many an hour

Old Guy

Rodge, I am glad they continue to give you pleasure, I also did most of the writing, but without Ryan's unrivalled knowledge and research they would not have stood the test of time, and although I did the graphics the flag books are down to him.

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Old Guy on January 09, 2015, 08:21:14 PM
Justin, I have provided maps for three books on conflicts in Africa and in doing so have communicated with some people who were involved in those combats, some very interesting men. My only involvement was spending ten weeks off Beira pretending to stop contraband getting to Mr. Smiths government, with the only upside being a week off in Mombasa at the end of it. I only use Illustrator, I know some people swap between the two, but I find for my purposes Illustrator does everything (and more) than I need, an excellent programme.

Sanctions were all a game. I knew a few sanctions busters who did it via a network of contacts in the UK. The only real problem we had was when Vorster put the squeeze on in the late 70's and cut our fuel and ammunition. Moral of the story: never trust an Afrikaaner politian further than you can throw him (and they were hefty!).

Jim Webster

Quote from: Justin Swanton on January 10, 2015, 08:25:16 AM

Moral of the story: never trust an Afrikaaner politian further than you can throw him (and they were hefty!).

How do they differ from other politicians then? Or are they just heftier?  ;)

Jim

Old Guy

We floated around for ten weeks building up a nice tan, we only ever stopped one ship, which obliged us for training. If memory serves we could not enter the three mile limit which made the 'blockade' a nonesense.

I drew the maps for this book by Ian Pringle Green Leader: Operation Gatling, the Rhodesian Military's Response to the Viscount Tragedy it comes out in March, I believe it should be a good read. Ian owns a couple of Cold War jets which he flies in SA. As I said, I correspond with a lot of very interesting people doing maps, one I am about to start is the memoir of a French/Italian who fought in the "Charlemagne" division on the Eastern Front and then joined the Foreign Legion to fight in Indochina.

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Jim Webster on January 10, 2015, 09:03:48 AM
Quote from: Justin Swanton on January 10, 2015, 08:25:16 AM

Moral of the story: never trust an Afrikaaner politian further than you can throw him (and they were hefty!).

How do they differ from other politicians then? Or are they just heftier?  ;)

Jim

Probably no fatter than other heavyweights, but I always saw them as big and portly, certainly compared to Smith:

Trustworthy, definitely not. Voster's strategy was to hand Rhodesia over to black rule and thus procure the goodwill of the OAU for South Africa (!). And you should hear Pik Botha on Smith when he was interviewed for the BBC documentary 'Rebellion'. "We didn't betray Smith. Smith betrayed us by fighting a war that was costing us millions." Sorry Pik, us getting involved in a war and all. Really not good for business.

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Old Guy on January 10, 2015, 09:34:55 AM
As I said, I correspond with a lot of very interesting people doing maps, one I am about to start is the memoir of a French/Italian who fought in the "Charlemagne" division on the Eastern Front and then joined the Foreign Legion to fight in Indochina.

Out of interest which battalion of the Legion did he join?  There was a specifically German battalion of the Legion in Indochina which was by far and away the most effective anti-communist unit ever fielded there, but did he get to join that on the basis of having served in the 'Charlemagne', or did he serve in one of the other battalions?

(Apologies to other members for the brief out-of-period discussion.)
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill