News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

New paper on Spanish archaeological finds from Libisoza

Started by Erpingham, December 30, 2020, 12:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

A description of the weapons finds from excavations at Libisoza (Lezuza). 

http://gladius.revistas.csic.es/index.php/gladius/article/view/326/331

In Spanish but with plenty of pictures.  A Spanish reading member (Duncan?) will no doubt tell us if there is anything revolutionary in the text but, even if not, some good artefacts here.

Duncan Head

Interesting but not, I think at a first look, revolutionary. It's good that the excavation allows the authors to distinguish between 3rd-century and Sertorian finds, but the differences don't seem to be huge. The swords were very nice examples of the early gladius hispaniensis history, and the unusually heavy iron Montefortino helmet (of the later period) quite striking. Will probably repay further study.

Thanks, Anthony.
Duncan Head

Swampster

Is the shield grip supposed to be vertical? I can't tell if there is anything to say what kind of shield it is from. _If_ it is vertical, and _if_ it is from an oval shield, and _if_ they were introduced by the Carthos, it may have some significance to the discussion about how easily Carthos could adopt Roman gear.

If.

Duncan Head

Quote from: Swampster on January 03, 2021, 07:49:21 PM
Is the shield grip supposed to be vertical? I can't tell if there is anything to say what kind of shield it is from. _If_ it is vertical, and _if_ it is from an oval shield, and _if_ they were introduced by the Carthos, it may have some significance to the discussion about how easily Carthos could adopt Roman gear.

It is identified as being from a circular shield - "Esta manilla se empleaba para escudos circulares" - presumably a caetra.
Duncan Head

Swampster

Quote from: Duncan Head on January 03, 2021, 09:37:22 PM
Quote from: Swampster on January 03, 2021, 07:49:21 PM

It is identified as being from a circular shield - "Esta manilla se empleaba para escudos circulares" - presumably a caetra.

One of the three foot ones I suppose.