News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Elephant Action

Started by Dangun, September 18, 2021, 04:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangun

I know I have probably subjected the SOA to more images form Cambodia than a normal lifetime requires. Apologies. But I thought this was an interesting piece of elephant action. Its hard to see, in what is an old photograph, but the Khmer elephant uses his trunk to rip the mahout out from his riding position.

Its from Banteay Chhmar so I haven't had a chance to photograph it myself.

Trunk by Dangun DBA, on Flickr

Nick Harbud

One feels that  it is all in the interpretation.  I mean, I came across a scene of marching soldiers on the walls of Phnom Rung, but then read the explanatory plaque nearby...  :-[
Nick Harbud

Tim

I almost hesitated to open a thread entitled 'Elephant Action'...

However very interesting. Would it be a strong enough foundation for an article...

Justin Swanton

Quote from: NickHarbud on September 18, 2021, 08:47:40 AM
One feels that  it is all in the interpretation.  I mean, I came across a scene of marching soldiers on the walls of Phnom Rung, but then read the explanatory plaque nearby...  :-[

Reminds me of when Germany sold China a few Panzer IIIs in the late 30's. The Chinese incorporated them in an armoured unit known as the Chinese Imperial Panzer Entity with the acronym CHIMPANZEE.

Or course the story could be apocryphal...

Duncan Head

Quote from: Justin Swanton on September 18, 2021, 10:39:49 AMOr course the story could be apocryphal...
Given that nothing in China was "Imperial" after 1911, it probably could.
Duncan Head

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Duncan Head on September 18, 2021, 03:19:50 PM
Quote from: Justin Swanton on September 18, 2021, 10:39:49 AMOr course the story could be apocryphal...

I was waiting for someone to spot that.  :)

aligern

The SE Asian reliefs show top guys on elephants duelling with the opposing top chaps. This presumably replicates  the ancient Indian structure of having an elephant with so many foot and cavalry attached to them.  Of course such a structure could be just for recruitment and maintenance and be changed before battle to units of elephants, spears, bows, horsemen . However tge form could be an elephant with its attendant all arms force, especially if it was de rigeur for tge elite warriors to duel with their social equals.
Roy

Jim Webster

Quote from: Justin Swanton on September 18, 2021, 08:28:47 PM

The Germans sold Panzer 1 tanks to the Chinese, but by the time the first Panzer IIIs were rolling off the production line, the Germans had already withdrawn their military assistance to the Nationalists in the face of Japanese protests so there was never a chance of the Chinese getting them   ;)

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Jim Webster on September 19, 2021, 09:28:00 AM
Quote from: Justin Swanton on September 18, 2021, 08:28:47 PM

The Germans sold Panzer 1 tanks to the Chinese, but by the time the first Panzer IIIs were rolling off the production line, the Germans had already withdrawn their military assistance to the Nationalists in the face of Japanese protests so there was never a chance of the Chinese getting them   ;)

Quite right! it was Panzer I's, and the unit was called the Chinese Inner Mongolia Panzer Entity. Silly me.  :-[

Here's an account of what happened to them (and apologies for going off-topic, again).

Dangun

Except for the Japanese bits  :)

Dangun

Quote from: Tim on September 18, 2021, 09:31:41 AM

However very interesting. Would it be a strong enough foundation for an article...

Tons of material. But I would be worried that the audience may have had had enough after the last couple.

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Dangun on September 20, 2021, 08:29:53 AM
Quote from: Tim on September 18, 2021, 09:31:41 AM

Tons of material. But I would be worried that the audience may have had had enough after the last couple.

Naah. Bring it on.