News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

There be dragons...

Started by Imperial Dave, May 18, 2024, 06:26:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

stevenneate

So the Border Wars using HOTT is the way to go?

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Martin Smith

...that elephant looks genuinely worried by meeting a more scary beast than him/herself !! 🫣
Lovely bit of medieval art...👍🏼
Martin
u444

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Ian61

Although born and raised in Wales I now live 40km due south of my birthplace in Somerset which also features a dragon on its flag (Often called a wyvern here but the distinction is pedantry*). The flag was chosen only this century by a vote run by the Somerset Gazette. It does however closely resemble the device used by the council for over a century except that the council Wyvern holds a mace which had been used as a proxy by some for many years.  The continuing appeal of dragons is clearly not a niche one as the vote certainly drew interest and three of the top four designs in the poll featured a dragon/wyvern.
You cannot view this attachment.
As the pose more easily fits onto a shield I used this design as the basis of the shield on the front of my knightly orders.

* I am sure I was told many years ago that a dragon had four legs and a wyvern two but this does not seem to work with representations seen – perhaps another of those logical points that doesn't actually stack up  - like the number of equine hooves on the floor of mounted heroes being an indication of whether or not they died in battle.
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

stevenneate

I like the way dragons are described as " creatures of myth", as if the sentence should finish with "or so anyone who still owns one would have you believe".

Imperial Dave

I recommend watching Ivor the Engine

Nuff sed
Slingshot Editor

Ian61

Quote from: Imperial Dave on May 19, 2024, 07:06:01 AMI recommend watching Ivor the Engine

Nuff sed

Classic.  8)
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Erpingham

You know, with all this reintroduction of species hunted to extinction in the Middle Ages going on in the UK, I wonder whether they will consider wyrms?  These seem to all have been hunted down by over-zealous heroes for the crime of lurking in watery places.  You can see why Nessie remains elusive.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Imperial Dave on May 19, 2024, 01:46:39 PMWyrms ARE dragons
But usually ground or water based rather than flying. The flying ones were drakes. I believe the Welsh term is drach?

Imperial Dave

I've been reading a book on them recently and the root etymology etc is fascinating

If only I could remember where I put the bleddy thing down

Slingshot Editor