News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

New find of Vindolanda letters

Started by Duncan Head, July 10, 2017, 01:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

that site really is a gift that keeps on giving in terms of new information on the day to day life of 'ordinary' people. Thanks Duncan for the link
Slingshot Editor

Prufrock

That is exciting indeed. Thanks for the link.

Anton

Tim

I remember my excitement at seeing them and the reading about them.  A new cache is really exciting.  Thank you Duncan.

Jim Webster

Quote from: Tim on July 10, 2017, 08:27:10 PM
I remember my excitement at seeing them and the reading about them.  A new cache is really exciting.  Thank you Duncan.
I remember the excitement of learning what the first lot said

Imperial Dave

I want to find out what happened after the socks and underpants arrived......
Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Holly on July 11, 2017, 08:03:54 AM

Several months later ... a legionary was guarding a pass when a couple of fierce tribesmen arrived, one pulled out a very long knife, the legionary fainted, the tribesmen checked a point of curiosity and ... the rest is history. ;D
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Erpingham

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on July 11, 2017, 10:16:07 AM

Several months later ... a legionary was guarding a pass when a couple of fierce tribesmen arrived, one pulled out a very long knife, the legionary fainted, the tribesmen checked a point of curiosity and ... the rest is history. ;D

Is this a scene from the classic of Roman drama "Carry On up the Wall"?

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Erpingham on July 11, 2017, 10:24:43 AM
Quote from: Patrick Waterson on July 11, 2017, 10:16:07 AM

Ooooh I say......
Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Erpingham on July 11, 2017, 10:24:43 AM

Indeed, during the appointment of Sidonius Asper Diamantus as governor.  Apparently there was an unspecified scandal involving his wife and the soldiery, a native revolt, a priest and several dancing girls.

Perhaps the next find will shed more light on the affair.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Mark G

We'll if the letters don't, perhaps one A Goldsworthy could do a Mantel, and bring up the violanda bodies...

Dangun

I am looking forward to the new Vindolanda letters.

If anyone is interested in this kind of thing, if you haven't come across them yet, I'd recommend the Sogdian letters. Spoiler: the letter from Miwnay is a little heart breaking. Pack tissues.

Patrick Waterson

If anyone is interested in the Sogdian Letters, they can be found (in translation) here.

To carry on with the revolt under Diamantus, it seems that a local chieftain invited a tribe from beyond the wall and they managed to force their way into one of the main forts, but were repelled by the Romans who, under the governor's direct command, employed an unusual tactic.  Exactly what this was is not mentioned, but it had a fearsome effect on the natives' morale, the rebellious chieftain crying Nescivi! (I did not know!) as he ran off.  This has been rather freely translated as: Ooh, I don't know, though in the original version.