News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Thoughts on 2mm Figures?

Started by eques, July 28, 2017, 10:39:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on August 13, 2017, 09:36:31 AM
Quote from: Holly on August 13, 2017, 09:04:04 AM
just had a random thought.....how do you represent an augury on 2mm scale!

Think of yourself as the deity ... :)

oh no, that wont do......maybe a flock of sheep or herd of goats clustered around a stone altar with some flunkies and the master of ceremonies all in loving 2mm
Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

I foresee a rise in the popularity of 2mm sheep.

That said, from a deity's point of view, separating 2mm sheep from 2mm goats is going to be even more of a challenge than dealing with the full-sized versions.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Imperial Dave

easy....the sheep are the ones being chased by a mob of Welshmen.....
Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

Thus demonstrating the hidden reason for the creation of Welshmen.

One thought about 2mm armies: do they fit more happily on 'realistic' terrain?  One of the problems of 25mm was that nice, realistic-looking, sloping papier-mache hills would occasionally create their own ski-runs or avalanches when 25mm figures were deployed on them.  Getting the figures to stay on the slope could be a challenge.  2mm figures with their low centres of gravity presumably do not have this problem.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on August 14, 2017, 09:18:25 AM
Thus demonstrating the hidden reason for the creation of Welshmen.

One thought about 2mm armies: do they fit more happily on 'realistic' terrain?  One of the problems of 25mm was that nice, realistic-looking, sloping papier-mache hills would occasionally create their own ski-runs or avalanches when 25mm figures were deployed on them.  Getting the figures to stay on the slope could be a challenge.  2mm figures with their low centres of gravity presumably do not have this problem.

agreed and relative scale of hills/trees/building etc vs figures becomes visually much more realistic
Slingshot Editor

kodiakblair

Quote from: Holly on August 14, 2017, 09:58:32 AM
agreed and relative scale of hills/trees/building etc vs figures becomes visually much more realistic

So does the painting. Imagine you're at a football match and you look across at the rival fans,they're only maybe 200-300 yards away. I only really see pink blobs for faces and bits of colour,could have swords instead of cups of bovril for all I know  :)

The terrain thing is good as I don't reckon we can grasp it's importance enough. Long time back I suggested to Phil Barker he should have rivers instead of ploughed fields (?) as his compulsory terrain,how they limit deployment and can secure flanks was what I was thinking. I couldn't see them having much effect in the sparsely populated 1st Cent UK. PB as is his wont gave me an example 1400 years later to back up his thoughts and that was that  ;D

Then he told me " To most wargamers a river's just a piece of blue cardboard."  :o Of course he was right. How often do we think " I'll just get those fellas to slip past that 6" x 4" forest and hit the enemy from behind.". Hard to keep perspective when your cavalry loom taller than a house  ;D

Imperial Dave

Quote from: kodiakblair on August 14, 2017, 10:49:09 PM
Hard to keep perspective when your cavalry loom taller than a house  ;D

exactly and its something that has bugged me forever and a day.......

I think I really will go back to 2mm seriously as a project but look at it holistically ie:

the armies (2 matching pair with add on possibilities)
the figure/men representation ratio
the terrain
the size of the board and thus the playing/operational size
the base/element size
the rules!

answers on a postcard...
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on August 15, 2017, 01:17:12 PM
Quote from: kodiakblair on August 14, 2017, 10:49:09 PM
Hard to keep perspective when your cavalry loom taller than a house  ;D

exactly and its something that has bugged me forever and a day.......

I think I really will go back to 2mm seriously as a project but look at it holistically ie:

the armies (2 matching pair with add on possibilities)
the figure/men representation ratio
the terrain
the size of the board and thus the playing/operational size
the base/element size
the rules!

answers on a postcard...

I think holistically is the way forward. I think it's a project with two armies, terrain, and perhaps even a campaign background to tie everything together.
You could even fit in a naval aspect to it as well 8)

Imperial Dave

oh gawd no.........not the navy lark!
Slingshot Editor

kodiakblair

Had to look up the meaning of "holistically"  ;)  I'll go back to my original intent.

Agricola's invasion of Scotland.

Have all the figures for both sides.
For ease on the tabletop I'll go 2:1 figure/man ratio
I'll try and keep terrain close to both the scale and figure ratio i.e 1mm = 2 yards
Board size really can't go over 8ft by 6ft. The board can't stay built up indefinitely so I'll need to resolve things that day.
Bases/elements all have 60mm fronts. The Legionaries are 15mm deep but that's OK as most rules ignore base depth these days.

Rules is easy. Michael Collins(one man band company Grand Manoeuvres) kindly sent me the playtest of his Bella Contra Barbaros,which I never got time to test  :-\ When it went on sale in April I promised him I'd find the time. That time has come  ;)

Patrick Waterson

Go ahead and good luck.  Do tell us how it works out. :)

Imperial Dave

sounds like a good exercise and reasonable parameters. If I had the room I would get a huge table but realise that for me anyway, 6x4 is about the limit
Slingshot Editor

stevenneate

Used the Irregular Miniatures figures just as is with no basing.  Designed it as a game that could be played on a fold-out chess board in the back of a car whilst driving to shows and competitions.  Is there no depths to which I'll stoop to get in another game?

eques

Quote from: stevenneate on August 21, 2017, 03:33:32 PM
Used the Irregular Miniatures figures just as is with no basing.  Designed it as a game that could be played on a fold-out chess board in the back of a car whilst driving to shows and competitions.  Is there no depths to which I'll stoop to get in another game?

I was thinking of making a command and colours travel set with them!