News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Thoughts on 2mm Figures?

Started by eques, July 28, 2017, 10:39:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eques

Does anyone use 2mm scale? How do you like it?  What base size do you use for them?

Chris

HR -

Do not use 2mm figures (or any figures, actually) but I did happen across an article in one of the monthly glossies wherein 2mm figures were used for an ECW campaign.

In general, the table looked spectacular. The formations were identifiable, but it seemed to me that a magnifying glass or some other visual aide might be required to assist in play.

Not sure if there are companies that produce 2mm ancients, though. If there are any, how tiny would their elephants be?

Cost would be reasonable, I imagine. Perhaps one could do Cannae or some other major battle on a 1-to-1 scale? The mind reels. And the eyes water.

Chris

Martin Smith

Irregular Miniatures make 2mm ancients. There are pics in the 2mm section of their website, including some of their elephants and chariots.

See

http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/

Scroll to bottom of the home page to click on the 2mm section. Excellent customer service, by the way.

Also, I believe Magister Militum may make a 3mm range.

Martin
u444

Jim Webster

I have 2mm Irregular Roman republic and Carthaginians which I did to play games on a gridded board about the size of a chess board. Haven't used them for years

Imperial Dave

2mm is ok for big visual battles and painting is relatively straight forward. Cant tell what weapons and armour they are carrying but formations easy enough to spot. I use Irregular miniatures too
Slingshot Editor

eques

Just received some trial strips of 2mm and 3mm. Both look nice. There's quite a noticeable difference between the 2 scales, kind of comparable to the difference between 28mm and 1/72s.

Painted up 1-strip of 2mm ECW cavalry and am rather taken with how they've turned out....

Jim Webster

Quote from: eques on August 03, 2017, 08:48:13 AM
Just received some trial strips of 2mm and 3mm. Both look nice. There's quite a noticeable difference between the 2 scales, kind of comparable to the difference between 28mm and 1/72s.

Painted up 1-strip of 2mm ECW cavalry and am rather taken with how they've turned out....
these things are very much down to personal taste. If you like them, can find a place for them in your imagination, then they're for you :-)

kodiakblair

Started using 2mm maybe 10-15 year back. Dead easy to paint and store. Arimes can look like armies and, this was the clincher, figures and terrain can almost be in scale. To my mind 16 figures and 8 trees on a 6" square do not make troops hiding in a forest. I'll say nothing about pikes being longer than the river they're crossing is wide  :D

The standard 6 ft by 4 ft wargames table is nearly 1 mile wide for 2mm figures,very handy if like me figure scale Vs ground scale a no-no.

For basing I took a happy medium of 4.5 ft by 7.5 ft for Legionaries, 240 Legionaries on 60 x 15 mm bases are 1/2 a cohort at 1:1. I kept that 1:1 figure ratio for everything so Hoplites are in 8 ranks, pike in 32 ranks. Irregular foot are 300 - 400 strong.

Some folks moan they can't tell what's what but I'm sure many generals said the same thing while squinting through the rain at the enemy 1/4 mile away. A touch of reality thrown in for free.

I can field every unit Agricola had for his invasion of Scotland at 1:1 but for a taster here's a Legion at 1:2 on a 3 ft board.

Imperial Dave

Very nice indeed and the visual aspect is always going to be a real winner when using 2mm. Also painting as said previously is easier and quicker.....hmmm time.to get my 2mm stuff out again to check what I have...Persians and Greeks
Slingshot Editor

kodiakblair

Cheers Dave

When I get back from Claymore I'll dig out the Hoplites and Pikemen,get some photos up. Got another 8 army packs from eBay the other week so hope I don't see more in the bring n buy today  :D

Imperial Dave

Definitely got me thinking about 2mm now.....BBDBA would look and feel perfect to me for this....just the basing configuration to work out...
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on August 06, 2017, 08:13:08 AM
Definitely got me thinking about 2mm now.....BBDBA would look and feel perfect to me for this....just the basing configuration to work out...
Mine are done on 40mm bases which seem to look well enough

kodiakblair

40mm is a right handy size to use.This page never fails to impress me.

http://www.angelfire.com/games4/bobsgames/tiny_warriors.htm

I only used 60mm because of the daft 1:1 idea  :) One of those just because you can/doesn't mean you should moments  ::)

eques

The Irregular Miniatures strips seem to be designed to fit on 30mm bases? Ie would be too long or too short for 2
40mm.

eques

Admittedly I am easily pleased but really like the way my trial strips have painted up and look on the base.

In addition to some more ECW stuff I have now ordered some late Roman figures with a view to Dux Bellorum (a rule set normally hampered by being light on figures on the tabletop)

3mm painting up well too. Would like to make a Pontic army at some point.