News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Thoughts on 2mm Figures?

Started by eques, July 28, 2017, 10:39:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

kodiakblair

Aye cheers for the link. Hope I get approved,might be difficult if it's weighed against other FB posts since mine are all bass related.

dwkay57

Going back to the "hollystic view" idea, then probably the best place to start with is the getting the scale right.
If 2mm equals 6ft vertically then it must also do the same horizontally if everything is to be relative, but this infers a 1:1 man:figure ratio which might be too much even at 2mm scale.

On the assumption that the ratio isn't 1:1 then the ground / vertical scales will be different.
If I was going to start my rules again I'd certainly work on getting the ground scale right first.
David

eques

Quote from: dwkay57 on September 05, 2017, 01:25:52 PM
Going back to the "hollystic view" idea, then probably the best place to start with is the getting the scale right.
If 2mm equals 6ft vertically then it must also do the same horizontally if everything is to be relative, but this infers a 1:1 man:figure ratio which might be too much even at 2mm scale.

On the assumption that the ratio isn't 1:1 then the ground / vertical scales will be different.
If I was going to start my rules again I'd certainly work on getting the ground scale right first.

I must say I never really bother with such calculations when reading or writing rules - I just go with whether it looks roughly right on the table (or rather it doesn't look wrong)

Imperial Dave

Quote from: eques on September 05, 2017, 05:48:15 PM

I must say I never really bother with such calculations when reading or writing rules - I just go with whether it looks roughly right on the table (or rather it doesn't look wrong)

phew....not just me then!  ;D
Slingshot Editor

kodiakblair

1:1 figure ratio can be a big ask but it's within reach. I put a photo up on the recent 2mm FB page. It was 2 Legions of 4800 each, 8000 Auxilia,2 Cohort of light infantry and 2 Cohort of archers. 2 Ala of light horse and 4 Ala of heavy horse completed the force.Not cheap I'm afraid.

On this 2M x 1M table there was still plenty of room  :)

Imperial Dave

no, not cheap but very impressive David  :) Is 2mm a unintended money sinkhole?!  8)
Slingshot Editor

kodiakblair

Quote from: Holly on September 06, 2017, 07:24:16 AM
no, not cheap but very impressive David  :) Is 2mm a unintended money sinkhole?!  8)
You got that right Dave ;-) My idea for a travel DBA set kinda got out of control.

Imperial Dave

Quote from: kodiakblair on September 06, 2017, 08:06:23 AM
You got that right Dave ;-) My idea for a travel DBA set kinda got out of control.

easily done  ;D
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

how does it compare to guitars  ;)

kodiakblair

Compared to guitars its cheaper and easier to store. Don't know what happened with the guitars,woke one morning and they'd overrun the house  ;D