News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Shatuo and 5 Dynasties

Started by nikgaukroger, April 10, 2019, 08:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikgaukroger

Recommendations for where to look for information on these please. I have some but wondering what else is out there. Used to be stuff available on CHF but that is no longer in existence  :-[
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Andreas Johansson

Perhaps helpfully, I note there's an abridged English translation of Ouyang Xiu's Historical Records of the Five Dynasties.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 44 infantry, 16 cavalry, 0 chariots, 5 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 1 other

nikgaukroger

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Duncan Head

Eberhard's Conquerors and Rulers: Social Forces in Medieval China is the main study that I know of: not just about the Shatuo, but has a lot about them.

Richard Davis, who translated Ouyang Xiu, also has a biography of one of the Shatuo emperors: From Warhorses to Ploughshares: The Later Tang Reign of Emperor Mingzong

Edit: Oh, and this was news to me...

Lorge's book on the Song reunification obviously deals with the end of the Five Dynasties era.

There are also books on some of the Ten KIngdoms:

- Min
- Former Shu
- Southern Tang
Duncan Head

nikgaukroger

Thanks - I think a couple of those will be on the ordering list  :D

Have the Lorge one on Song reunification (good IMO) but that other one was new to me as well - may just tip me over to Kindle unlimited ...

Dangun

If you can find it, its got some good data...
Lai, S. F., Dissertation, The Military and Defense System under the Tang Dynasty, (Princeton, 1986)
But there is a bit of ra-ra too.

Not sure, if you want just the 5D Tang, or are interested in the Tang proper... Anyways, this was OK...
Zhenping, W., Tang China in Multi-polar Asia, (Honolulu, 2013)

nikgaukroger

Quote from: Dangun on April 11, 2019, 01:11:41 PM
If you can find it, its got some good data...
Lai, S. F., Dissertation, The Military and Defense System under the Tang Dynasty, (Princeton, 1986)
But there is a bit of ra-ra too.

No joy in finding it - unless I want to go to Princeton and borrow it in book format from their library  :P

Duncan Head

Oh, and there's always Wang Gungwu (or here) - the first book on the Five Dynasties I ever bought, back in the 1980s.
Duncan Head

nikgaukroger

Quote from: Dangun on April 11, 2019, 01:11:41 PM
Not sure, if you want just the 5D Tang, or are interested in the Tang proper...

5 Dynasties really, but Tang post An Lushan could be useful as it is the run up as the Tang state decentralises  8)

nikgaukroger