News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Now looking at the Burgundian Wars - any reading recommendations

Started by Dave Knight, May 22, 2020, 10:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Knight

As I think my Wars of the Roses library has been thoroghly updated and next on the list are the Wars between Burgundy and the Swiss.

I have the Osprey Man at Arms on the Swiss but couls not see much else on a search on Amazon.

Any recommendations?

Tim

The standard reference I believe is still Richard Vaughan's Charles the Bold, (I wore out my first copy.) However don't expect to come away liking Charles very much...

Mark G

Lance and longbow have a booklet on it.

Lots of colour flags in it too I recall

Erpingham

There is some stuff in the Osprey Armies of Medieval Burgundy. 

Second Richard Vaughan recommendation.  His review of the 500 years celebrations of the campaigns has some interesting stuff https://dspace.library.uu.nl/bitstream/handle/1874/246433/2160-5547-1-PB.pdf

Robert Douglas Smith and Kelly DeVries The Artillery of the Dukes of Burgundy is more useful than the title sounds.

If you don't know it already (and suspect you do) Simon Chick's blog.  I don't know whether the figures are an inspiration or just fill me with feelings of unworthiness but there are some interesting bits about the armies and how to model them in there.  Unfortunately, its not keyworded like some blogs.

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Erpingham on May 23, 2020, 08:38:55 AM
There is some stuff in the Osprey Armies of Medieval Burgundy. 

when I did my Charles the Bold Burgundian army I only used this reference book. Right or wrong it did allow me to paint the army to a pleasing level. Whether or not it was an accurate representation is another matter!  ;D
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

A couple of re-enactor sites quote the ordonnances in translation.  The Harrington one is by Mike Ingram, highly rated by many members for his discussion of Bosworth.

http://www.wolfeargent.com/ordonnances.htm

https://harringtoncompanye.wordpress.com/combat/

Some more uniform inspiration can be found in Gerry Embleton Medieval Military Costume

Dave Knight

Thanks chaps

I have had Vaughan on my amazon wish list since January 2016 but was never sure how much of it was military and how much political.  I am interested in the general history as well so that is not a problem but I probably would not bother if the battle descriptions are not in enough depth to help me with scenario design.

I need to check I think I have the artillery book somewhere.

I might have a look at the Lance and Longbow stuff as well.

The blog is good and I will have a look at the other links

Imperial Dave

the thing that really stood out for me when painting the army was the blue and white effect with the red cross.....looked stunning
Slingshot Editor

gavindbm

Vaughan has only a little on army and the battles.

The Lance and Longbow booklet is excellent for details of flags and captains etc, with some info on the battles.  Probably the most useful book if you want to model the army.

I am currently painting Charles the Bold in 28mm. I already have the army in 15mm.  There are some gorgeous flags available and they make the army look good.  As do the livery coats.

I have also gone for painted pikes and lances...

Dave Knight

I will probably just use my Wars of the Roses figures for the Burgundians.  I already have a smallish Swiss army and some more to paint up.

I want to try and do all the battles but it looks as if there are no in depth studies to use as a base.

Tim

Dave - there is a very good Swiss article on Grandson, let me see if I can find the link. Delbruck also has some on the battles but I can't remember how much. Vaughan was what I relied upon for my refight of Murten/Morat.

gavindbm

Vaughan has a map for 2 of the battles versus Swiss.  But just with a couple of arrows showing Swiss route....not much on Burgundian deployment (or composition of either army at the battles).  The map of Murten has more topographical info than the other map

Tim

http://www.burnpit.us/2014/03/battle-grandson-swiss-army-defeats-burgundians-under-charles-bold

has reference to Geiger, B. Les Guerres de Bourgogne, 3rd edition, Ecole militaire superieur, 1999 but as my French is poor I have not checked it out.

Erpingham

I presume you've studied the Murten panorama for inspiration?  The website doesn't have much detail but does muster a couple of handy plans .

This article on Murten makes good use of modern Swiss sources.  Unfortunately, it recycles Oman's maps. Grosjean's are more plausible (and form basis of the panorama site ones).

Grosjean is widely referenced, including detailed plans, pp232-5 in Contamine's War in the Middle Ages.

Nick Harbud

If your French is up to it, you might like to look at some of the Vae Victis magazines.

Issue 115 had a game and supporting articles on Charles the Bold's wars against the Swiss. Unfortunately, this is no longer available, but I shall see if I can dig out my copy.  Incidentally, an English translation of the game rules is available as a download.

Issue 123 has a game on the Battle of Montlhéry 1465 with supporting articles on the War of the Public Weal.

Hope these help.
Nick Harbud