News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Desperately seeking myself

Started by Baldie, November 12, 2020, 04:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

Quote from: Tim on November 14, 2020, 11:56:00 AM
Solo wargaming. What I miss is the banter and interaction. I also lack the motivation to do the bits I hate like flocking bases.

I do miss the input of discussing a game, especially in rule development.  But that depends on developing a group of like minded individuals who don't mind subordinating their gaming fun to your desire to mess with the rules.

As I've said, creating motivation across the whole hobby set up can be hard for a solo player - I haven't done more than touch up repairs in painting for weeks, for example.

Baldie

At the start of my daily work meetings I did have signs saying the end is nigh on the wall or triangle of toilet rolls then took to wearing my viking helmet.

Imperial Dave

I normally use my X-Wing fighter cockpit background or a '300' backdrop
Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

Going back on topic ---- I think Anthony's initial post probably sums up why I solo wargame now whilst in my youth (or when I had less grey hairs or is it more hairs that were coloured) I actively took part in clubs. I did go to the local club once last year but didn't get too much of a welcome, so never really had the drive to go back again.

The only downside I to solo wargaming is that my tactics are becoming too stereotyped so will be looking at ways of trying to involve others in defining the initial deployments and plans.

PS. Whilst having a dedicated desk to do the painting, I don't have a dedicated room (although that is the daydream) for fighting but can borrow the dining room table occasionally.
David

Erpingham

QuoteI don't have a dedicated room (although that is the daydream)

I didn't for many many years.  Then the last daughter flew the nest :)  She was shocked the trestle tables were actually delivered the following week.  It's not quite dedicated - numerous non-wargaming things are stored in there and the table is a useful flat surface for tasks such as sewing and present wrapping.

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Erpingham on November 26, 2020, 09:27:34 AM
QuoteI don't have a dedicated room (although that is the daydream)

I didn't for many many years.  Then the last daughter flew the nest :)  She was shocked the trestle tables were actually delivered the following week.  It's not quite dedicated - numerous non-wargaming things are stored in there and the table is a useful flat surface for tasks such as sewing and present wrapping.

trestle tables are old school....I still have mine!
Slingshot Editor

aligern

Then when  its all over you can open your lounge as a village hall, Dave.  Its what trestle tables are for.
Roy

Erpingham

QuoteIts what trestle tables are for.

Not the only thing.  When I last went for a Covid test, their tables were the same as I use for wargaming. 

Imperial Dave

such a versatile bit of 'furniture'  :)

you can even use them for wallpaper pasting!
Slingshot Editor

Tim

Quote from: Holly on November 26, 2020, 01:18:48 PM

Wash your mouth out with soap Dave! Do not want my wife getting ideas like that.

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Tim on November 26, 2020, 07:06:02 PM

Wash your mouth out with soap Dave! Do not want my wife getting ideas like that.

I love DIY

(Dont Involve Yourself)
Slingshot Editor

DougM

Quote from: Holly on November 26, 2020, 09:23:27 PM

I love DIY

(Dont Involve Yourself)

My favourite was always GSE.  Get Someone Else. And unfortunately, the shed just isn't big enough, the spare room is the spare room, and the study has been annexed by SWMBO. Fortunately, the dining room is now my office, as we obviously aren't hosting dinner parties, there's a table topper extending the width, and plenty of room for airbrushing etc, my own desk and painting station remains in the family room, so I can at least pretend to be sociable.
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Imperial Dave

Quote from: DougM on November 30, 2020, 08:28:54 AM
Quote from: Holly on November 26, 2020, 09:23:27 PM

I love DIY

(Dont Involve Yourself)

My favourite was always GSE.  Get Someone Else. And unfortunately, the shed just isn't big enough, the spare room is the spare room, and the study has been annexed by SWMBO. Fortunately, the dining room is now my office, as we obviously aren't hosting dinner parties, there's a table topper extending the width, and plenty of room for airbrushing etc, my own desk and painting station remains in the family room, so I can at least pretend to be sociable.

GSE is a relative of SEP (Somebody Else's Problem which of course I pay tribute to Douglas Adams for that gem) another favourite of mine :)

I am scattered to the 4 winds in the house at the minute. My office is in the spare box room which is not quite big enough to be a gaming room. The gaming room was purloined by the CinC as her office so gaming is done on the dining table in the conservatory. I paint where I can until moved on like a vagrant and my stuff is stored all over the place.
Slingshot Editor

David Mason

I don't do solo myself, but I know someone who only plays solo because it means that he never loses
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

DougM

Ah, but he always loses. It's like a sphinx ruddle, who is the man who always wins but always loses...
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/