Society of Ancients Conference
When: 14-16 October 2016
Where: Chesford Grange Hotel Kenilworth
The Society of Ancients is holding its first Conference in 25 years on the weekend of 15th/16th October at the Chesford Grange Hotel, Kenilworth.
You are warmly invited to join us at what we believe will be a tremendous event. We are now taking bookings for either the whole weekend with accommodation, or just day attendance if you cannot manage both days. In fact the fun starts on the evening of Friday 14th October as we gather to play games in the bar in memory of the late Andy Gittins, former President of the Society.
The options for attending the conference are:
- Arrive Friday evening: Friday and Saturday night bed and breakfast, Saturday and Sunday buffet lunches, and Saturday night Society Dinner £279
- Arrive Saturday morning: Saturday night bed and breakfast, Saturday and Sunday buffet lunches, and Saturday night Society Dinner £179
- Day only – Saturday: Saturday buffet lunch £40
- Day only – Sunday: Sunday buffet lunch £40
Tea/coffee and pastries/biscuits/fruit etc at 8:45am before the day starts, and at mid-morning and mid-afternoon breaks are also included in the above prices.
The aim is to get together as a Society and exchange ideas on wargamimg in the ancients and medieval periods. And have some fun!
The weekend will contain a mixture of presentations, discussion and wargaming sessions in small and larger groups.
There will be options to join various activities, some of which will run more than once , so that you can choose what you like the look of, and what you don’t!
It’s an opportunity to try new things, be they new rule sets that are under development or more self-contained games like the ones we used to include as a member re-subscription incentive.
Friday evening – in the Bar
As well as having been an active member and promoter of the Society, Andy Gittins was an avid game designer, and members may remember his “David and Goliath”, Horatius at the Bridge” and especially his epic gladiator game “Gladiolus”. We will be bringing these out of the cupboard along with other games for an evening of duelling, backstabbing and general bonhomie. You are advised not to miss it!
The day will begin at 9am with an introduction and welcome to the Conference from the current Society President Roy Boss.
Throughout the weekend, Slingshot Editor Paul Innes will be running a mini-campaign of the Battle of Philippi in 28mm. This will be structured as a series of three battles across the two days of the conference. Saturday morning will start with Antony versus Cassius! He painted all those legionaries and he’s going to use them!
- Paul Innes will talk about “Shakespeare and Roman Warfare” as a pre-cursor to his Philippi mini-campaign
- Richard Jeffrey-Cook will present a session for players to try his exciting new Ancients rules
- Phil Steele will present a workshop session on designing refights of historical battles, followed by a practical demonstration.
We will break for a buffet lunch at 1pm.
- Matt Bennett will talk about the 3 battles of 1066 (it is after all the 950th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings on Friday 14 October!)
- Matt Bennett and Roy Boss will run a refight of the Battle of Hastings using Armati rules
- Simon MacDowall will run a multi-player game entitled “Somewhere in Gaul AD 430” - this game can take something in the region of 4-8 players and will play on a 6x8 table.
The day will conclude with the Conference Dinner at 7:30pm.
The day will start at 9am with a welcome back from Conference organise Richard Lockwood
- Matt Bennett will talk about the battles of Arsuf and Hattin - the battle of Arsuf is the battle to be refought at the 2017 Battle Day on 1 April 2017.
- Simon MacDowall will run a strategic game (without figures) set in the 4th Century AD with players taking the roles of Roman commanders in a council of war having to decide what to do as information is fed into them.
- Richard Jeffrey-Cook will present a second session for players to try his exciting new Ancients rules
- Phil Steele will present a workshop session on designing refights of historical battles, followed by a practical demonstration
We will break for a buffet lunch at 1pm.
- Ian Russell-Lowell will talk about “From Kikkuli to Kinza” - Late Bronze Age Chariot Warfare
- Richard Lockwood will run a game looking at Alexander the Great as a heroic commander
- A repeat of some of the more popular sessions
- Playing a number of Society games
At 4pm we will have a general discussion on the Conference, what we liked, what we didn’t, and hopefully generate ideas for next year, and the day will conclude around 5pm.
The amounts charges below assume that you have already paid the deposit. If you haven't, just add the deposit to you cart as well as the balance. There is no requirement to have already booked a place with a deposit to come - we welcome everyone.
Balances may be paid to the Society either electronically by using the add to cart buttons at the bottom of this page or by writing to the Society Treasurer at
enclosing a cheque payable to The Society of Ancients.
Help make the Society a Society and come along to the Conference!