News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Excalibur stolen!

Started by Imperial Dave, October 18, 2017, 02:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-41664879

obviously not the real excalibur (the real one is tucked away in my loft) and obviously a criminal act.....but wouldnt you love to see if they took photos of when they we removing it!
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Have the Police put out a bolo for Arthur Pendragon and his gang?

Nick Harbud

Quote from: Holly on October 18, 2017, 02:59:25 PM
obviously not the real excalibur (the real one is tucked away in my loft)

Really?  I'm sure I saw it in a vault at Gringott's....   ???
Nick Harbud

Prufrock

I didn't steal it. It's mine by right. Kay.

Erpingham

I'd put divers in the lake ( just in case).

Imperial Dave

there is a local legend for that particular lake that speaks of a lady thats at least 600 years old (the legend not the lady)
Slingshot Editor

evilgong

Liz, Charles etc, from the House of Windsor-Battenburg must be worried; the person who pulled the sword from the stone might turn up to parliament and demand to made king of the land.

Chris

Cutting edge humor, gentlemen  ;) . . . helped to make my knight  :P

Chris

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: evilgong on October 18, 2017, 11:19:57 PM
Liz, Charles etc, from the House of Windsor-Battenburg must be worried; the person who pulled the sword from the stone might turn up to parliament and demand to made king of the land.

Or they might be tremendously relieved and simply retire to their estates which by virtue of their no longer being the Royal Family will largely escape government control (at present their income goes to the Treasury while the Crown gets a pittance known as the Civil List).  Then again, if rex quondam is about to become rex futurus, we can expect a significant difference in the handling of the UK's relationship with the powers that be on the continent of Europe.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Erpingham

Quote from: evilgong on October 18, 2017, 11:19:57 PM

Actually, I think the first step would be to get a good lawyer to present your title.  Becoming king is complicated.  The key issue is seen in this exchange :

King Arthur: I am your king.
Woman: Well, I didn't vote for you.
King Arthur: You don't vote for kings.
Woman: Well how'd you become king then?
[Angelic music plays... ]
King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your king.
Dennis: [interrupting] Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Admittedly, the sword was obtained by a different route but .....

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Erpingham on October 19, 2017, 08:40:31 AM
Admittedly, the sword was obtained by a different route but .....

... what is truth to a lawyer?

The route to take would presumably be to rely on precedent, in that gladial expetrination was a criterion for kingship, and kingship for rulership whether voted for or no, long before some quondam usurper advanced the self-interested proposition that participatory choice constituted the guiding element of selection for supreme power.  In any event, it would be possible to prove that choice of a monarch by Act of Parliament dates only from AD 1688 in an Act the legality of which has been challenged in AD 1671-2, 1697, 1715 and 1745, whereas gladial expetrination (removal of a sword from stone) was an acceptable method of adducing rightful kingship as early as c.AD 470 and therefore constitutes a legal precedent.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Nick Harbud

The world was so much simpler when swords simply presented themselves out of hats when they were most needed, and at other times kept a discreet absence.    :(
Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

although not specifically Arthurian, the original legend for the area is this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physicians_of_Myddfai
Slingshot Editor

evilgong

I read somewhere that Elizabethan England claimed ownership of the Atlantic islands on the basis that King Arthur owned them. 

The modern sword remover could claim the Orkneys, Shetlands (etc) and Iceland too.

I guess he's hiding out readying his army to march on London.

Tim

Patrick, you obviously know far too much of lawyers and their ways...